A guitar cab revolution
It’s a single 10” driver with a bigger warmer tone than a closed-back 1x12” but the room-filling clarity and air of an open-backed cab. It’s so light it weighs less than a guitar in a case and so small it’s almost airline hand luggage! Go with the British voicing for a meatier tone with singing highs or the American tonality for a more bluesy vintage tone for clean rhythm and driven lead tones.
Barefaced AVD - it isn’t a closed or open-backed cab, or even ported - this is brand new patent pending technology. This “Augmented Vent Diffractor” has two main functions:
1. It allows mid and high frequencies from the rear of the cone to pass through its slot, be diffracted, be coupled to the room by the waveguide, and spread around the room for hugely improved audibility
2. At low frequencies it acts as a Helmholtz resonator, vastly improving the efficiency and power handling in the lows
And three further benefits
1. It improves the sound of the speaker by breaking up internal reflections that muddy the tone in conventional guitar cabs
2. It allows us to add a low-cut filter so you can switch from closed-back style weighty fatness to open-backed style lean tightness.
3. The low-cut filter reduces the demands on the speaker and the amp, making the sound cleaner and/or allowing increased output to get your preferred speaker and power valve overdrive.
- • Innovative internal design - Barefaced AVD enclosure for superior audibility, efficiency and power handling
- • Low-cut filter toggle switch
- • British Racing Green tolex, and either a black or silver cloth grill with white piping.
- • Single top strap handle
- • Rubber feet on base
- • Dual combi 1/4” + speakon sockets
There are basically two sorts - closed-back and open-backed. Open-backed because they were combos and needed to keep the valves cool and accessible for servicing, closed-back and sealed because that’s how most speakers were made in the 1960s.
The closed-back cabs have narrowing dispersion as frequency increases (a hi-fi speaker uses smaller speakers for higher frequencies to reduce this problem). The open-backed cabs fire sound out of the back as well as the front, so although the dispersion narrows from both front and back in much the same way as the closed-back cab, the sound coming out of the back helps fill the room with mids and highs - but that sound out of the back cancels out most of the lows (due to the inverted phase as the back of the speaker pulls when the front pushes and vice versa). In other words, open-back cabs are easier to hear around the room but the lows are thinner.
From the front it behaves much like a closed or open-backed cab. But the mids and highs coming out of the AVD at the back are amplified and dispersed around the room whilst the lows are inverted to match the lows from the front, giving lots more bottom. Basically you get the output from one 10” or 12” to match two 10”s or 12”s in a closed-back cab but with even better dispersion and audibility than an open-backed cab.
You see it when you look at the back of the cab - it’s the Augmented Vent Diffractor. It’s a unique Patent Pending technology that we started developing back in 2013. At low frequencies it acts as a tuned vent or Helmholtz resonator, improving efficiency, power handling and output. At mid and high frequencies it acts to diffract, disperse and couple the sound with the room for improved audibility and output especially in rooms with poor acoustics.
The increased low frequency output from the AVD may be too much for some guitarists’ tastes - so you can flick this switch and remove lows at the cab. Doing so not only changes the bass response but also increases the power handling of the cab, lowers the distortion due to motor excursion and reduces the load on your amp’s output stage. This can give you two different sweet-spots of optimum speaker overdrive or break-up and two different sweet-spots of power valve overdrive. If your sound is perfect in rehearsal but too dirty at a louder gig then engaging the Lo Cut filer will clean it up.
(H W D)
|33.5cm 38cm 28cm
14" 15" 11"
|Weight||6kgs / 13lbs|
|Driver||Celestion G10 Vintage|
|RMS power handling||60 Watts RMS|
|Nominal Impedance||8 ohms|
High quality speaker leads for exceptional sound quality and reliability. High grade cable comprises 2 insulated pure copper cores. Durable wire and latching speaker plug.
Wrap your cab in any of our huge range of tolex for an extra special finish. Please note this affects the delivery time as custom tolex is ordered in.